Here is an account of my adventures teaching English in South Korea, traveling Southeast Asia, scuba diving in the Philippines, studying and teaching in China, life in Colombia, and other trips. Believe what you will, I'm sure it'll all be nuts.
We're the Cool Kids
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
Thought you'd like to see how Brittany and I spend our time. All in the spirit of Christmas.
We didn't hit the road in Las Vegas until about 11:30am. The car rental process was slow, and we had to stop at Walmart to buy a cooler and get groceries for the upcoming week. Taking the national park circuit means needing to bring lots of your own food! Once we were driving, we hit traffic around Lake Mead/Hoover Dam, and it took us almost 6 hours to reach GCNP...right as the sun had set! Fortunately, we had prepared for such an event and had booked a room in the Bright Angel lodge inside the park. I loved our adorable old-timey cabin-like room, and we got some much needed sleep after our hotel stay in Vegas! I would definitely recommend staying in the park if you can. Also, we bought our "America the Beautiful" national parks pass at the gate. It costs $80 and lasts for one year and grants access to all federally owned parks. For example, national parks and monuments, but not state parks or land owned by Native Americans. We woke up at 6 so that we could driv...
Sagada is a backpacker town high up in the mountains. I’d heard great things about it, and when I arrived, I could feel a difference in the atmosphere. Very relaxed, friendly place. A good vibe, if you will. I spent the next few days doing assorted tours around the town. Sagada is actually very organized when it comes to tours. You go to the tourist information center, pick a tour, and they assign a guide to you. What a delightful change than the usual chaos from desperate wannabe tour guides on the street! We were assigned Keith, a 19 year old local boy. My group included Rahima, the French woman Francoise from Batad (who we ran into on the street when we arrived in Sagada), an English guy in our guesthouse, Alex, and four Lithuanians, surprisingly enough. The short hike took us through Echo Valley (named for obvious reasons) where there are coffins suspended from the cliff sides. Some are over a century old, and some are only a few decades old. Keith told us that before the...
Mid-August marked the 20 th anniversary of a music festival in Bogota called “Rock al Parque,” a three-day festival celebrating everything that is hardcore ROCK. The festival spanned Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Luckily for all involved, Monday was a Catholic holiday celebrating the Assumption of Mary. In a country where the majority of the people are Catholic, that means a Catholic holiday is a national holiday as well. What better way to celebrate the mother of Christ than by head banging to some metal? As I didn’t have to teach class, I decided to wander down to Parque Simon Bolivar with my friend Matteo to check out the festivities. We were able to watch 3 bands, including Doctor Krapula (Colombian), Molotov (Mexican), and Aterciopelados (Colombian). We ended up leaving right before Anthrax, an American thrash band that closed out the festival. Why did we leave early? Because I wasn’t quite willing to fight public transportation with tens of thousands of Colombians after...
Comments